2021-2022 Substitute Teachers
- General Substitute Teachers
Contact Miss Kelly Koval, Dean of Academics/ Associate Head of School for more information:
ICHS Substitute Teacher Job Description
This position includes but is not limited to, managing, organizing, facilitating and supporting the students in the absence of an Immaculate Conception High School Teacher. This individual should exude confident and experienced substitute teaching practices throughout the duration of coverage. Your duties will include assigning homework, managing classroom activities, and compiling reports. ICHS Substitute Teachers must have in-depth knowledge of effective teaching practices that ensure learning is a comfortable and meaningful experience. ICHS Substitute Teachers should have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, with a strong command of the English language. All ICHS Substitutes will report directly to the Dean of Academics/ Associate Head of School.
Substitute Teacher Requirements:
- A person of integrity who understands and honors the need for confidentiality in dealing with staff, students and families as well as other stakeholders vital to ICHS
- Organized, friendly, and competent professional
- Exhibits an interest in education and the ICHS Community
- High school diploma or equivalent qualification.
- Bachelor’s degree in teaching is preferred.
- Certificate in teaching or substitute teaching.
- NJ State Fingerprinting and Background Check
- Protecting God’s Children Program completed
- A minimum of 2 years experience in a similar role.
- Must be detail oriented and able to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Substitute Teacher Responsibilities:
- Honors and operates according to the values of the ICHS community
- Is mindful of the need for personal integrity and confidentiality
- Adheres to the curriculum and lesson plans assigned by the regular teacher
- Follows procedures and achieves the goals of each lesson
- Assigns and explains homework
- Oversees students outside of the classroom including in the hallways, the cafeteria and in any other setting in which student supervision is expected and required
- Complies with all school regulations and policies at all times
- Takes attendance and document daily notes
- Ensures classroom and work is clean and orderly
- Oversees the normal classroom rhythms and activities
- Compiles a report for the teacher for when he/she returns
The following CORE Competencies are highly preferred for ALL Applicants:
Self-Awareness and Professional Development: Proactively looks for opportunities to develop her/his own skills and related behaviors in her/his areas of expertise to maximize performance and effectiveness.
Communication and Personal Effectiveness: Effectively communicates with internal and external stakeholders to share and express information in an ethical, forthright and timely manner
Customer Orientation: Empathetically seeks understanding of what internal and external stakeholders require and expect, and uses available resources, policies, and opportunities in those stakeholders’ best interests without compromising institutional or unit values
Collaboration and Partnership: Effectively develops relationships and collaborates with all stakeholders, values teamwork, and applies a variety of strategies to meet the needs of a diverse constituency.
Achievement Orientation: Has a strong sense of urgency about proactively solving problems and getting work done; gains support for ideas, proposals, projects and solutions; and takes initiative.
Leadership: Demonstrates responsibility and skill in guiding others; a commitment to and a vision for ICHS “…engaging people and ideas for common good…”; and an ability to achieve positive outcomes by encouraging, supporting, coaching, developing and mentoring others.
Teamwork: Supports ICHS teams, participating fully in team activities and work, remaining flexible and responsive to other team members’ ideas and needs, proactively offering advice in her/his own areas of expertise, and relating to team members with courtesy and respect.